Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Girl at the Mirror


by Norman Rockwell

Threshold: n. a point of entry or beginning

Threshold
where there is a beginning
there must be an ending

I feel like I'm standing at a threshold
or maybe sitting there because I really don't know what to do
and I'm sick of standing
So I sit
and I think
and I wait
and I pray
and I ask

I'm nervous because I don't know what to do
I'm not sure what to do
Must I really leave things behind
to begin something new
things slumped to the side
left there, nearly forgotten
Why?

Looking in the mirror
I see the new me
but I'm still a child
and I see a reflection near me
right beside me
holding my hand
wanting me to be happy

I don't even know what I want
I want it all
I want the best of both worlds, Ha!
But I can't
and I'm torn
and it hurts when I think about it
I don't want to throw my doll to the side
to pick up a kiwi

So I just sit and wait
sitting at the threshold
hoping that someone would either shove me forward
or close the door in my face

No comments: